In your readings on Leadership, you learned the difference between management and leadership, as well as traits, styles, and situations of leaders and leadership. Many modern-day leaders were profiled in the text, including:
- Warren Buffett
- Martin Winterkorn
- Carrie Toldstedt
- Ginni Rometty
- Larry Page
- Jeff Bezos
- Mark Zuckerberg
In this assignment, you will research and write about a modern leader of your choice. You may not select one of the leaders listed above. The following steps will help you prepare for your written assignment:
- Thoroughly read the Leadership module.
- Carefully consider the traits, styles, and differing situations for leadership in today’s organizations.
- Select a leader to profile in your written report. You may select one you admire, or a “good example of a bad example.” There are numerous websites naming leaders to get you started. A quick search on “famous contemporary leaders” revealed millions of possible lists, OR you may select a leader in your personal or professional life: your boss, a coach, a team leader, etc.
- Research your chosen leader, identifying evidence of his/her traits, styles, and leadership situations. Relate your findings to the module concepts. For example, how did your chosen leader demonstrate the trait of “desire to lead”? Prepare examples.
- Write a five-paragraph essay profiling your chosen leader.
- First, introduce your leader, and state why you selected him/her. Was their leadership effective or not effective?
- Next, expand upon the traits and style of your leader, including at least three properly referenced and defined terms from the module reading. For example, if you select Drive, describe what the term means in the context of leadership and how your leader demonstrates it.
- Next, describe the leadership situation your chosen leader was in, using one of the Situational Leadership Models from the module reading. For example, if your leader was charged with a group of new or low-competence employees, did they use the Selling style prescribed by Ken Blanchard?
- Finally, conclude with a short description of your personal leadership style and how effective it has been for you to date.
In addition to the text, you are encouraged to research leadership and your chosen leader, using reliable and properly cited Internet resources. You may also draw from your personal work experience with appropriate examples to support your references.
Your written assignment will be graded using the Written Assignment Rubric. Please review and keep it in mind as you prepare your assignment. Each component is weighted as follows:
10% Organization and Format
Adequate: Writing is coherent and logically organized, using a format suitable for the material presented. Transitions used between ideas and paragraphs create coherence. Overall unity of ideas is supported by the format and organization of the material presented.
Adequate: All required questions are addressed with thoughtful consideration reﬂecting both proper use of content terminology and additional original thought. Some additional concepts are presented from properly cited sources, or originated by the author following logic and reasoning they’ve clearly presented throughout the writing.
40% Development – Critical Thinking
Adequate: Content indicates original thinking, cohesive conclusions, and developed ideas with suﬃcient and ﬁrm evidence. Ideas presented are not merely the opinion of the writer, and clearly address all of the questions or requirements asked with evidence presented to support conclusions drawn.
10% Grammar, Mechanics, Style
Adequate: Writing is free of spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors, allowing the reader to follow ideas clearly. There are no sentence fragments and run-ons. The style of writing, tone, and use of rhetorical devices is presented in a cohesive style that enhances the content of the message.