Thank you for joining in the effort to use, expand, and share OER developmental English materials. As you know, this population of students and teachers can greatly appreciate the benefits of open education. We hope the following resources and ideas will help you in your own efforts to adopt or adapt OER for your courses.
We invite you to share in the collaboration and wisdom-sharing of the OER community. Slack is a free, easy-to-use tool for communication and collaboration. It offers channels for group conversations on specific topics, including English. You can also send direct messages to individuals or groups. Use it from any computer or mobile device.
Lumen Open Courses
Lumen offers template courses that can serve as starting points for your own development. You can mix, match, and adapt anything from the courses below quite easily.
- Basic Reading and Writing
- Introduction to College Composition (coming in October)
- Developmental Reading
- Developmental Writing
- Making Connections (developed by Julie Damerell at Monroe Community College)
Content to Avoid
While theoretically “open” content, we at Lumen suggest refraining from using the following materials in your own course development. They carry particularly difficult licenses, and/or may not meet the requirements for ATD grant funding.
- avoid using Communication for Business Success or English for Business Success (text from LardBucket / Saylor)
- avoid using Successful Writing (text from LardBucket / Saylor)
- avoid using Writer’s Handbook (text from LardBucket / Saylor)