Identify Techniques for Strengthening Vocabulary
The English language includes over 1,025,000 words. The average English-speaking adult has a working vocabulary of about 20,000 words. That means most of us have about a million words that we could potentially add to our vocabulary!
Having a strong vocabulary makes reading more meaningful and enjoyable, and reading helps build a strong vocabulary. There are lots of other ways to pick up words, though. This module includes several tactics for expanding your word power. Music can be a fun option, as this video illustrates.
What You Will Learn to Do
- identify strategies for defining words from context
- identify additional tools for defining words (i.e. dictionaries)
- identify strategies for retaining new words in a working vocabulary
The Learning Activities for this Outcome Include
- Text: Using Context Clues
- Text: Dictionaries
- Text: Concept Cards
- Video: Enriching Your Vocabulary
- Self Check: Vocabulary
- Try It: Vocabulary