Identify different biomes of our world
The Earth’s biomes are categorized into two major groups: terrestrial and aquatic. Terrestrial biomes are based on land, while aquatic biomes include both ocean and freshwater biomes.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Identify the two major abiotic factors that determine terrestrial biomes
- Recognize distinguishing characteristics of each of the eight major terrestrial biomes
- Describe the effects of abiotic factors on the composition of plant and animal communities in aquatic biomes
- Compare and contrast the characteristics of the ocean zones
- Summarize the characteristics of standing water and flowing water freshwater biomes
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Characteristics of Terrestrial Biomes
- Major Terrestrial Biomes
- Characteristics of Aquatic Biomes
- Major Oceanic Biomes
- Major Freshwater Biomes
- Self Check: Biomes
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.