What you’ll learn to do: Solve rational equations using mathematical rules and properties.
In this section, we will learn techniques for solving equations that contain rational expressions. Rational equations can contain multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, and exponents. You will use the ideas of finding a least common multiple and the properties of equality for solving equations in combination with the order of operations to solve rational equations. There are many applications for rational equations, from figuring out how many drinks to bring to a party to how best to plan driving time for a road trip. We will explore some of these applications, including rates, proportions, and variation.
- Solve rational equations by clearing denominators
- Identify extraneous solutions in a rational equation
- Solve for a variable in a rational formula
- Define and write a proportion
- Solve proportion problems
- Identify the components of a work equation
- Solve work problems