Wanda thinks the domestic market has been flooded with start-up companies offering gourmet dog biscuits. But she believes that perhaps she has a real opportunity to grow her business by participating in the global market. She has heard of other small businesses “going global,” but she isn’t sure what that would entail.
Conduct research on taking Salty Pawz into the global economic environment, into a global market and then present your research to Wanda detailing what it would take for her business to go global.
Begin by identifying four key issues Wanda should consider before expanding Salty Pawz globally, using global business issues discussed in the text for this course as your reference. It may be helpful for you to think about these four issues as major questions that will need to answered in order for Wanda to make a sound business decision on whether or not to take Salty Pawz global. For example, does Wanda need to consider cultural issues because not every culture has the same attitude toward pets as people in the United States do? Are there legal restrictions on exporting food products to certain countries or restrictions on their import in the destination country?
For each issue present the following:
- Describe the issue and provide evidence to support any conclusions or recommendations that you give Wanda—your evidence could also serve as resources that Wanda could use to learn more about each of the issues.
- Explain why each of the four issues is important and the implications they have for Salty Pawz. Be sure to address the characteristics, opportunities, and challenges of operating a business in the global economic environment.
- Provide resources where Wanda can learn more information about the issue, so she will be prepared beyond the introduction you have shared. You should point her to other sources and/or Web sites and explain how each one is important and can help her.
In addition to using information provided in the text, your research should include other articles and sources as evidence to support your explanations. For example, you may find related evidence in the following external sources:
- Entrepreneur.com: How to Take Your Company Global
- International Trade Administration: National Export Initiative—Next
|Criteria||Not Evident: 0%||Developing: 55%||Proficient: 80%||Distinguished: 100%||Weight|
|Identified four issues to consider before expanding Salty Pawz globally, and provides evidence to support.||0 points||11 points||16 points||20 points||20%|
|Explains important considerations and their implications for the four issues as they relate to Salty Pawz, and addressed the characteristics, opportunities, and challenges of operating a business in the global economic environment.||0 points||22 points||32 points||40 points||40%|
|Provided additional resources to extend learning about the issues.||0 points||11 points||16 points||20 points||20%|
|Articulation of response (citations, grammar, spelling, syntax, or organization that negatively impact readability and articulation of main ideas).||0 points||11 points||16 points||20 points||20%|
Total points possible: 100.