Post 1: Initial Post
This posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
Sun City Boards founder Tom Wilson is a laid-back West Coast surfer who subscribes to Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard’s “let my people go surfing” sentiment. To quote Chouinard: “A serious surfer doesn’t plan to go surfing next Tuesday at two o’clock. You go surfing when there are waves and the tide and wind are right.” What Wilson lacks is Chouinard’s ability to translate that passion for play into a clear focus for his business.
In this module we learned that a good manager is responsible for an organization’s success, defined as:
- An organization is effective: it is accomplishing things that support the vision and mission.
- An organization is efficient: it is doing things in the best possible manner.
- An organization is sustainable: it is generating revenue to support its continued operation.
- Select ONE of the above categories—effective, efficient or sustainable—to explore.
- Conduct research on Patagonia’s mission, operations and sustainability ethos based on your choice.
- Propose a management action Tom could take to make his organization more successful and describe how it would contribute to the organization’s success.
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
After you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate).
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.