The content, assignments, and assessments for Principles of Management are aligned to the following learning outcomes.
You can also use this link to download the complete set of learning outcomes for the course.
Module 1: Introduction to Management
Describe the primary functions of management and the roles of managers.
- Describe what management is.
- Explain the primary functions of management.
- Describe the primary types of managers and the roles they play.
- Explain the advantages that arise from managing people well.
Module 2: History of Management
Describe the work of major contributors to the field of management.
- Describe the contributions of Frederick W. Taylor, Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, and Henry Gantt to the field of scientific management.
- Describe the contributions of Max Weber and Henri Fayol to the field of bureaucratic management.
- Describe the contributions of Mary Parker Follett and Elton Mayo (Hawthorne studies) to the field of humanistic management.
- Describe current developments in management practices.
Module 3: Planning and Mission
Explain how managers align the planning process with company mission, vision, and values.
- Distinguish between mission, vision, and values.
- Explain the pros and cons of planning.
- Explain the stages of the planning cycle.
- List and describe the types of plans and common planning tools.
Module 4: Environments and Strategic Management
Explain the components and considerations of strategic management.
- Explain the role of strategy in management.
- Describe common frameworks used to evaluate the business environment.
- Describe common frameworks used for situational analysis.
- Explain the stages of strategy, and describe the common types of business strategies.
- Explain the key aspects of the environment that can affect strategy.
Module 5: Decision Making
Explain the process and techniques of individual and group decision-making.
- Describe the barriers to individual decision-making and common styles of decision-making.
- Explain the concept of “rational decision making” and contrast it with prospect theory, bounded rationality, heuristics, and robust decisions.
- Explain evidence-based decision making and its tools.
- Describe the components and use of a decision tree.
- Explain common techniques used to manage group decision making.
Module 6: Organizational Structures
Identify common organizational structures and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Explain the purpose of organization.
- Describe common organizational structures and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Identify important factors for consideration in organizational design.
- Describe current trends in organization and job design.
Module 7: Human Resource Management
Discuss the purpose of HR management and its legal constraints.
- Explain the purpose of human resource management for both the organization and individuals.
- Summarize the key laws affecting human resource practices.
- Describe effective strategies for recruiting and selecting qualified job applicants.
- Describe employee orientation and training approaches.
- Describe employee development and performance evaluations.
- Describe common employee compensation, incentive, and benefits strategies.
- Describe the options for employee separation/termination.
- Describe current trends and challenges in HR management.
Module 8: Groups, Teams, and Teamwork
Explain group and team dynamics within organizations.
- Describe common group behaviors that can help or hurt organization goals.
- Describe the types of teams found in business organizations.
- Describe common techniques used to build effective teams.
- Describe the five stages of team development.
- Describe common types and causes of conflict that arise within teams.
Module 9: Culture and Diversity
Discuss organizational culture and the benefits of diversity.
- Describe organizational culture, and explain how culture can be a competitive advantage.
- Identify key dimensions of organizational culture.
- Identify the main influences on organizational culture, and explain how culture is maintained.
- Describe the key techniques for initiating and fostering cultural change.
- Identify the advantages and challenges of employee diversity within organizations.
Module 10: Leadership
Recognize good and poor leadership and the varieties of leadership.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Identify the traits, dimensions, and styles of effective leaders.
- Compare examples of effective and poor leadership.
- Summarize the situational theories of leadership.
- Summarize transformational and transactional theories of leadership.
Module 11: Motivation
Recognize the importance of employee motivation and how to promote it.
- Explain the importance of employee motivation in an organization.
- Explain needs-based theories of motivation.
- Explain process-based theories of motivation.
- Describe the job characteristics that affect motivation.
- Explain goal-setting theory.
- Explain reinforcement theory.
- Explain the manager’s role in promoting motivation.
Module 12: The Individual and the Organization
Recognize how employee personality and attitude affect organizational fit.
- Recognize the role of personal values and personality at work.
- Explain common biases that can affect a manager’s perception of employees.
- Explain the major attitudes that affect job performance.
- List and explain common factors that influence job fitness and performance.
Module 13: Ethics in Business
Describe the methods of encouraging ethical behavior and the laws encouraging good corporate practices.
- Explain the need for ethics in the workplace.
- Explain the US Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations and how the compliance steps encourage ethical behavior.
- Describe the influences on an employee’s ethical choices.
- Describe practical steps that managers should take to model ethical behavior and encourage ethical choices.
- Explain corporate social responsibility (CSR) and its relationship to economic performance.
Module 14: Communication
Describe typical business communication, and explain barriers to effective communication.
- Recognize the role of communication in the management function.
- Differentiate between typical communication flows within an organization.
- Explain barriers to effective communication.
- Differentiate between typical channels of business communication.
Module 15: Control
Explain the methods and need for control within an organization.
- Explain what control means in a business setting and why it is needed.
- Explain the basic control process and monitoring points.
- Describe the different levels and types of control.
- Explain the need for a balanced scorecard.
- Explain the use of financial and nonfinancial controls in business.
Module 16: Globalization and Business
Describe current trends and challenges in global business management.
- Describe current trends in global business.
- Explain the risk tradeoffs in typical forms of global business.
- Explain the dimensions of cultural difference and their effect on global business.
- Explain the strategies managers can use to respond to cultural differences.
- Explain how managers can effectively train employees for international assignments.
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.