Post 1: Initial Post
This posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph and a maximum of two paragraphs. Word totals for this post should be in the 100–200-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate.
Think of a recent business fraud or scandal you’ve heard about in the news, or choose one that has been mentioned in your reading. For example, you might consider one of the following:
- The Volkswagen emissions falsification scandal
- The Wells Fargo fake account scandal
- The subprime mortgage crisis
Research the scandal, paying close attention to how it was possible for whatever went wrong to happen.
Specify the scandal you chose, and be sure to cite any sources where you conducted your research. Then respond to ALL of the following questions in your initial post:
- Were there controls in place that should have prevented the scandal or fraud from happening? Explain what types of controls existed using the terminology in your reading (feedback, proactive, concurrent, strategic, operational, tactical, top-down, objective, normative, financial, nonfinancial).
- If so, why do you think the controls were ineffective? If not, why do you think the business didn’t have sufficient controls in place?
- What was management’s role in the failure of the controls?
- Did the business implement new controls in response to the scandal? If so, do you think they’ll be effective?
Posts 2 and 3: Respond to Classmates’ Posts
After you have created your initial post, look over the discussion posts of your classmates and give at least two thoughtful responses to two different classmates (one per classmate).
A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–100-word range. Whether you agree or disagree, explain why with supporting evidence and concepts from the readings or a related experience. Include a reference, link, or citation when appropriate. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or opinions not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic.