Extra Credit Assignment
If you choose to journal your thoughts, responses, reflections, questions on any “optional” resources you look at throughout the course. Use the “extra credit” journal for these extra reflections and reference the items you are discussing in the title and context of your entry.
Suggestion: Which of these theorists do you most agree with, which do you least agree with, and why?
This series of YouTube videos goes into more depth on the classic theories (and theorists) of religion:
- Karl Marx
- Mircea Eliade and Ninian Smart
- Paul Tillich and W.C. Smith
- Schleiermacher, Otto, and James
- Emile Durkheim, totemism
- Max Weber
- Clifford Geertz
- The Academic Study of Religion (instructor essay)
- Some misconceptions regarding the study of religion (from the American Academy of Religion)
- What is the Academic Study of Religion? by Russell T. McCutcheon (Department of Religious Studies, University of Alabama)
- also by Russell T. McCutcheon, Studying Religion: Introduction & Conclusion
- What is the Academic Study of Religion?: A Student’s Perspective(by Tim Davis, 2006)
- Body ritual among the Nacirema by Horace Miner
What lesson does this piece suggest about the “insider-outsider” delimma?
- Appearances can be deceiving
- Be careful about making assumptions
- Don’t jump to conclusions (revealing the secret of the Nacirema)