After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Modern art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this movement
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Modern Century art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Modern art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- How did Modern art develop?
- What were its precursors?
- What was the influence of WWI on art?
- How did Modern art reflect societal changes?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- optical effect
- pure hue
- undulating lines
- Analytic Cubism
- Synthetic Cubism
- ready-made sculpture
- found object
- De Stijl
- nonobjective art/ nonobjective forms
- School of Paris
- Neue Sachlichkeit
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.