This course was developed by Judy Baker, Ph.D., Dean of Foothill Global Access at Foothill College. This compilation is licensed under CC-BY-SA.
Feel free to use, reuse, customize, or share in accordance with the open license conditions of each source.
You are invited to suggest improvements to this online course. Contact Judy Baker at bakerjudy <at> foothill.edu
Student Learning Outcomes
- Assess health behavior choices, apply that information to everyday life for the improvement of individual, family, and community well-being.
- Identify preconceived ideas about knowledge, values, and behavior that affect health and compare with established research and accepted scientific evidence.
The student will be able to:
- appraise and assess public attitudes and behavior regarding health and disease.
- recognize, examine and formulate the importance of immunizations.
- recognize and assess public bias towards aging, diabetes, epilepsy, STDs, etc.
- differentiate the major classifications of communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- examine and discuss the role of epidemiology in Public Health.
- assess and analyze nutritional behavior.
- identify the major means of transmission for communicable diseases.
- identify and examine immunizations in relationship to immunity.
- examine the three levels of Health Promotion/Disease Prevention.
- identify, compare, and discuss normal versus abnormal patterns of behavior.
- identify and compare the major classifications of drugs.
- examine and appraise patterns of drug abuse.
- compare cultural health behaviors and suggest associated consequences.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Personal Health – Week 1
- Health and disease, influence of family and community
- Three levels of health promotion/disease prevention
- Beliefs, attitudes, bias, stereotyping, and behavior on the part of the individual and community toward health disorders and the aging process.
- Leading causes of death, risk factors, and prevention
Chapter 2: Consumer Health – Week 2
- Types of health care professionals and facilities
- Brand name and generic medications
- Alternative medical practices
- Health fraud
- Health care for all: Health disparities and inequalities
Chapter 3: Personal Relationships – Week 3
- Intimacy and sexuality
- Marriage and relationships
- Family and societal violence
Chapter 4: Human Sexuality, Contraception, and Reproduction – Week 4
- Behavioral presentation of human sexuality
- Sexual terminology (behavioral)
- Sexual bias and misconceptions
Chapter 5: Diseases and Disorders – Week 5
- Classifications of diseases
- Attitudes and behaviors toward health disorders
- Aspects of epidemiology and its application to public health
- Common infectious diseases
- Tuberculosis, Hepatitis, Cold, Flu, Mononucleosis, Strep, Pneumonia, STDs, AIDS, etc.
- Transmission, diagnosis and treatment of common diseases
- Immunity and immunizations
- Noncommunicable diseases and disorders
- Respiratory disorders (Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, Emphysema, etc.)
- Skin disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Cardiovascular Diseases and Disorders
- Risk factors and high blood pressure
- Disorders, diagnosis and treatment
- Heart attack
- Congestive heart failure
- Congenital heart disorders
Chapter 6: Nutritional Behavior – Week 6
- Nutritional guidelines; carbohydrates, fats and proteins
- Myths and misconceptions regarding nutrition
- Ethnic foods
- Dietary supplements
- Body composition and metabolic rate
- Diet and weight control
- Eating Disorders
Chapter 7: Physical Activity and Health – Week 7
- Health benefits
- Aerobic exercise
- Strengthening exercise
- Community issues
Chapter 8: Substance Abuse and Addictions – Week 8
- Codependency and dependency problems
- Effects on pregnancy
Chapter 9: Aging, Dying, and Death – Week 9
- Profile of America’s aging population
- Diseases common in elderly population
- Factors that enhance aging
- Safety issues for elders
Chapter 10: Stress and Health – Week 10
- Science of psychoneuroimmunology
- Dynamics and sources of stress
- General Adaptation Syndrome
- Burnout and stress related illness
- Managing stress
Chapter 11: Personality, Emotional Health, and Abnormal Behavior – Week 11
- Theories of personality
- Personality types
- Emotional health
- Mental/emotional disorders
- Terminology (neuroses and psychoses)
- Childhood Abnormalities
- Abnormal behavioral patterns
- Psychoactive Drugs and Medications