WHAT YOU’LL LEARN TO DO: Use dimensional analysis, significant figures and scientific notation to take measurements, convert between units and perform calculations
After completing this week’s assignments you will be able to:
- Convert numbers from regular notation to scientific notation.
- Perform calculations to the correct number of significant figures.
- Perform calculations using numbers with SI units.
- Convert between base units and units containing prefixes.
- Perform calculations using dimensional analysis.
- Become acclimated with common laboratory equipment
Approximate Time to Complete
|Read Introduction||5 minutes||Before Lab|
|Complete the Pre-lab Problems (Make sure you get this signed before you leave lab!)||15 minutes||Before Lab|
|Complete Pre-lab Quiz
Material will come from the lab introduction, safety, procedure, and the pre-lab questions.
|10 minutes||Before Lab|
|Complete Lab Handout (Page 8-12)||Varies minutes outside lab||Due at the Next Lab Meeting|
*All students are expected to participate in the completion of the prelab assignment regardless of whether the assignment is an individual or group assignment.
*Prelab quizzes must be completed prior to coming to lab for a student to be admitted to class.