For this assessment, you will create an accurate representation of the Earth’s interior. Not only will you demonstrate the different layers of the Earth but their physical and chemical characteristics as well. Remember to access the tips and hints at the bottom of the page.
Basic Requirements (assignment criteria):
This assessment requires you to use your imagination. It is up to you to decide what materials you will use for the model. Some ideas include—Play-Doh, variety of candies, pudding, Jello or other items. You will need to create an accurate representation of the thickness of the different layers as well as their physical characteristics. The model does NOT need to be round like the Earth.
I would recommend using a 9×13 pan, pie pan or a tall clear glass. You can use a normal pan or purchase a foil pan from the $1 store. In fact, a trip to a local dollar store could yield all sorts of ideas.
- Make sure the thickness of EACH layer is accurate. Remember this is a model.
- Make sure the physical properties of EACH layer are accurate. For the outer core, it may not be possible given that it is a liquid. However, you can vary the properties of the other layers. As you create the various layers, remember what you have learned about each layer.
- For each layer, write a brief description. Make sure you include the physical property description as well as the material you chose for that layer. Include a brief description of the chemical makeup and chemical properties of the layer. Also, include anything unique or special about that layer (HINT: each layer – the inner core, the outer core, the mantle and the crust – have at least one unique or special feature worth mentioning.
- Take a picture of the model AND a picture of YOU with the model together, save it with your layer summaries for submission. A clear picture of the model is required so the different levels can be easily seen.
- Be creative and have fun!
- Your final project should be unique!