Distinguish between facts and opinions.
Identify each of the following statements as either fact or opinion:
- There are currently 110,000 children in the child welfare system.
- Approximately 4.7 million Americans can’t vote currently or permanently due to a felony conviction. That translates to 1 in 42 adults.
- For schools to be more effective, the school year must be longer.
- Patriarchy exists when men dominate women in group or society and authority is vested in males.
- The United States needs to spend more money on health care.
- As of the year 2015, only 26% of fourth-grade students in the United States tests proficient in basic mathematics problems.
- Sociology is the scientific study of society and human behavior.
- Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.
- College students should take at least 15 credits per semester.
- A prominent theory among psychologists is that humans are by nature instinctively egocentric.