By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Translate word phrases into mathematical notation representing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions
- Express a decimal given in numerical form to word form and vice versa
- Convert a decimal to a fraction or mixed number
- Use variables and algebraic symbols
- Recognize and combine like terms in an expression
- Identify expressions and equations
- Use exponential notation
- Use the order of operations
- Perform arithmetic operations on real numbers
- Simplify compound expressions containing real numbers
There are more opportunities to use math in day-to-day living than many of us realize. People who are able to apply mathematical ideas to real-life situations have powerful tools in their possession — tools that not everyone is able use. These tools help us become more efficient and effective in our personal and work lives. In this module, you’ll develop the techniques and computational skills required for general problem solving in real-life situations.
Use this review section to find out if you are ready to apply mathematical problem-solving strategies. You’ll need to be familiar with operations on whole numbers, decimals, and fractions and understand how variables are used to represent unknown or changeable quantities in expressions and equations. The order of operations will help you to simplify complicated expressions or represent them in helpful ways. All of these ideas are contained in this Review for Success section and helpful tips will appear in red boxes like the one below throughout the rest of the module.
Recall for success
Look for red boxes like this one throughout the text. They’ll show up just in time to give helpful reminders of the math you’ll need, right where you’ll need it.