By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Find the percent of a whole
- Identify the amount, the base, and the percent in a percent problem
- Write and solve equations containing percents
- Use properties of equality to isolate variables and solve algebraic equations
- Use the distributive property
- Clear fractions and decimals from equations to make them easier to solve
- Solve a formula for a specific variable using the properties of equality
- Evaluate a formula for given values of the variables
- Use the power rule for logarithms to rewrite a logarithm
- Use the power rule for logarithms to solve an equation containing the variable in an exponent
Before we begin exploring hands-on activities involving financial instruments, it will be beneficial to brush up on the algebraic properties of multi-step equations and practice solving equations for a specific variable even if that variable is in an exponent. We will begin, though, with a review of percent basics. You have likely studied percent previously in this course. If so, use the section on percent to confirm that you are comfortable with the topic.
Of course, the red boxes with helpful tips will appear throughout the module to remind you of important facts and techniques along the way.
Recall for success
Look for red boxes like this one throughout the text. They’ll show up just in time to give helpful reminders of the math you’ll need, right where you’ll need it.