After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the concepts and terminology of Gothic art
- Investigate and apply the fundamental questions we ask when looking at art objects from this era
- Discuss, collaborate, and generate understanding as to the meaning of Gothic art
- Assess and evaluate the impact of Gothic art on the continued evolution of Western art
Key Questions to Ask
While you are reviewing the content of this module, consider the following questions:
- What are the typical elements of a Gothic church?
- How did architecture change from the Romanesque to Gothic period?
- How was Chartres typical of the great Gothic cathedrals?
- What are the other major Gothic cathedrals?
Key Vocabulary Terms
- pointed arch
- ribbed vault
- moralized Bible
- flying buttress
Here are links to art history glossaries that will help you better understand the above key vocabulary terms.