- Describe the purpose of writing assignments and what an instructor might expect to see from your writing
- Identify common types of writing tasks in a college class
- Review the syllabi for courses you’re taking this term. Make note of the writing-based assignments you’ll be asked to complete for each course you’re taking. For each one course, identify the following:
- What kind of writing task are you being asked to complete? Is this an essay, journal, memo, annotated bibliography, online discussion, or scientific report, etc.
- How much of your course grade does each assignment represent?
- How much time do you estimate each assignment will take you to complete?
- Why do you think it is a graded requirement of the class?
- Compare the list you’ve generated with a small group of your classmates. How do their lists of writing assignments compare to your own? What are some common factors across writing assignments? What are some notable differences?
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.