- Review the CDC information about children’s mental health: https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/research.html
- Summarize what you learned from the Children’s Mental Health page of the CDC website.
- Conduct your own research on one of the following neurodevelopmental disorders by searching legitimate websites like www.dsm5.org, www.psychiatry.org, www.cdc.gov, www.childhealthdata.org, etc.
- Intellectual Development Disorder (Intellectual Disability)
- Communication Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Specific Learning Disorder
- Summarize the neurodevelopmental disorder you researched. Be sure to include the diagnostic criteria, prevalence, and possible treatment options.
- Review some information about the high percentage of youth in the juvenile justice system with mental health conditions:
- Reflect on how this particular disorder may lead to a higher likelihood of becoming involved with the juvenile justice system.
STEP 2: Post your reply (in at least 250 words) in the discussion forum. Your response should include a clear stance on the issue with supporting evidence as to why you feel the way you do. Show that you can think critically on the topic by integrating your own thoughts, analysis, or experiences.
STEP 3: Respond in two separate posts to two classmates (in at least 75 words). Explicitly address their responses and try to extend, complicate, or redirect their points in a substantive, knowledge-demonstrating way.