STEP 1: Choose to investigate a controversial method of treatment (from recent history – within the last twenty years – or currently being used). Consider the following as examples (you could use one of these or find something different):
- Attachment Therapy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_therapy, (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4acOXrijMA)
- Scared Straight https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!, Juvenile Bootcamps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_camp_(correctional) (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM0H19A1WEM),
- Conversion Therapy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy.
STEP 2: Research your topic via journal articles, open-source content, videos, and/or available textbooks. You should have at least 2 appropriate sources (examples of an inappropriate source would be a blog or opinion piece).
STEP 3: Create a PowerPoint (or another similar type of video presentation) of no more than 5 minutes in length.
Sample PowerPoint presentation using Google slides: (You can use this as a template)
The presentation should include the following information:
- An introduction of the controversial treatment method you’ve investigated to include a brief background history (how/why did it start?)
- Current (or recent) studies and/or research to show its effectiveness (or lack thereof).
- The ethical issues with the method (*Refer to APA’s General Principles: https://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index) Are the professionals carrying out this method acting with beneficence and nonmaleficence? Are they acting with fidelity and responsibility? Are they honest and transparent and supporting/advocating for justice? Are they being respectful of people’s rights and dignity? Why or why not?
- Your conclusion should summarize your main points and your overall assessment of the methods/treatment that was or is being conducted along with your educated opinion as to why this should or should not continue.
- Include a reference page at the end – cite all sources according to APA.
*Tips: include pictures and embed short videos to keep your audience engaged. (Just be sure to cite your sources).
STEP 4: Record the presentation with audio (again: keep it to a 5-minute maximum). You may include a video of yourself as well, though this is not required. Here is a “how-to” guide from wikihow: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-PowerPoint-Presentation-That-Includes-Audio-and-Video-Files and another guide from Microsoft Support Center if using this tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/record-a-presentation-2570dff5-f81c-40bc-b404-e04e95ffab33
STEP 5: Submit your presentation into the discussion forum to share with your classmates.
|Chooses appropriate sources and controversial mental health treatment topic.||Topic is a known controversy (not obscure or solely in student’s opinion). Sources are appropriate (open-source, journal articles, or otherwise reliable content).||Topic is appropriate but evidence of controversy is not substantiated by appropriate sources.||Topic is not in line with assignment and/or sources are missing or inappropriate.||__/5|
|Presentation (Powerpoint Video)||Excellent use of visual graphics to convey important points related to the topic. Addresses all questions from Step 2 and incorporates at least 2 appropriate sources. Stays within the time limit.||Some use of visual graphics. Addresses most questions from step 2 but may be missing some and/or fails to incorporate 2 appropriate sources. Exceeds 6 minutes or appears too short (well under 5 minutes, missing info)||Project lacks several pieces (not all questions are addressed from step 2, inappropriate or missing sources, multiple grammatical errors distract from content).||__/10|
|Includes correct APA citations||Provides accurate in-text citations AND a reference page at the end of the presentation.||Does not fully provide accurate in-text citations AND a reference page for the sources used.||Missing citations entirely or most of the citations are done incorrectly.||__/5|