STEP 1: Review several of the Fact Sheets on the Cultural Competence page of the Mental Health America website: http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/issues/cultural-competence
- Latino Communities
- GLBT Communities
- Asian American/Pacific Islander Communities
- African American Communities
- Native American Communities
Review the information from the APA about working with culturally diverse clients:
- APA interview for clients from culturally diverse backgrounds: Cultural Formulation Interview
Link to Learning
For some additional information about cultural competence and ways it should be approached, watch this optional Ted talk from clinical psychologist Dr. Raquel Martin.
After reading the information from Mental Health America and the American Psychiatric Association, reflect on how this information can be incorporated with the textbook information about clinical assessment and diagnosis.
- Pick one diverse patient population to write about for this discussion.
- Summarize the information about this population from the various sources.
- Describe any facts or tips that you think are important for your classmates to know about this select population.
- Discuss how the clinical assessment and diagnosis may be impacted by any special characteristics or historical background of this diverse patient population.
- Be sure to consider how you might avoid bias during the assessment and diagnosis process.
STEP 2: Post your reply (in at least 250 words) in the discussion forum. Your response should include a clear stance on the issue with supporting evidence as to why you feel the way you do. Show that you can think critically on the topic by integrating your own thoughts, analysis, or experiences.
STEP 3: Respond in two separate posts to two classmates (in at least 75 words). Explicitly address their responses and try to extend, complicate, or redirect their points in a substantive, knowledge-demonstrating way.