Describe and explain a range of mechanisms for generating genetic diversity
Now that we know how meiosis works, let’s see how it and its involved processes contribute to genetic diversity.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Understand how sexual reproduction leads to different sexual life cycles
- Understand how meiosis contributes to genetic diversity
- Understand the impact of translocation between non-homologous chromosomes during meiosis or mitosis
- Understand how mitosis, meiosis, and random fertilization all result in genetically unique individuals
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Sexual Reproduction
- Genetic Variation in Meiosis
- Chromosomal Structural Rearrangements
- Mitosis, Meiosis, and Sexual Reproduction
- Self Check: Genetic Diversity
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.