Discuss the processes and regulations involved in digestion
Obtaining nutrition and energy from food is a multi-step process. For true animals, the first step is ingestion, the act of taking in food. This is followed by digestion, absorption, and elimination. The brain is the control center for the sensation of hunger and satiety. The functions of the digestive system are regulated through neural and hormonal responses.
What You’ll Learn to Do
- Detail the steps involved in the digestive system processes
- Discuss the role of neural regulation in digestive processes
- Explain how hormones regulate digestion
The learning activities for this section include the following:
- Digestive System Processes
- Neural Responses to Food
- Hormonal Responses to Food
- Self Check: Digestive System Regulation
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.