- Opposite Notation
- [latex]-a[/latex] means the opposite of the number [latex]a[/latex]
- The notation [latex]-a[/latex] is read the opposite of [latex]a[/latex].
- Absolute Value Notation
- The absolute value of a number [latex]n[/latex] is written as [latex]|n|[/latex] .
- [latex]|n|\ge 0[/latex] for all numbers.
- absolute value
- The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line.
- Integers are counting numbers, their opposites, and zero … [latex]–3, –2, –1, 0, 1, 2, 3\dots[/latex]
- negative number
- A negative number is less than zero.
- The opposite of a number is the number that is the same distance from zero on the number line, but on the opposite side of zero.
Did you have an idea for improving this content? We’d love your input.