Read the article titled “D.I.Y. Biology, on the Wings of the Mockingjay” by James Gorman, on page 2 of this link, which will introduce you to the idea of DIY biology. You can also access this article through the New York Times if you have a subscription. After reading it proceed with the activities below.
- Part 1: Using your understanding of DNA technology and evolution, summarize changes that would need to take place in order to create organisms such as the Jabberjay and mockingjay.
- Part 2: Conduct further research into the idea of DIY biology and genetic engineering. Briefly summarize your findings and provide a specific bioengineering example. Cite references using MLA format.
- Part 3: State your opinion of the DIYbio movement and whether you believe government regulation or publishing restrictions should be put into place. Why or why not? Provide specific evidence and a logical argument to support your opinion. Simply stating you ‘feel’ or ‘believe’ something is insufficient justification.
Your essay should be prepared and cited using MLA format. Submit your final work as a single document.
Basic Requirements (the assignment will not be accepted or assessed unless the follow criteria have been met):
- Assignment has been proofread and does not contain any major spelling or grammatical errors
- Assignment includes appropriate references.
- Assignment is formatted throughout using MLA style.
|When Jabberjays Attack!
|Outcome: Explain the theory of evolution, which documents the change in the genetic makeup of a biological population over time. Describe and discuss techniques used in modern biology.
|Jabberjay creation discussed referencing specific DNA technologies possibly used for their engineering.
|DNA technologies identified and discussed in detail that could have created jabberjays.
|DNA technologies identified that could have created jabberjays.
|Incorrect DNA technologies discussed or not sufficiently justified in discussion.
|Jabberjay and mockingjay evolutionary relationships discussed in order to highlight the way that adaptations enhance the survival and reproduction of individuals in a population.
|Evolutionary relationship of jabberjays/mockingjays discussed correctly and in detail.
|Evolutionary relationship of jabberjays/mockingjays discussed correctly.
|Jabberjay/mockingjay relationship not logical or insufficiently discussed.
|Discuss mockingjay survival as an example of natural selection.
|Natural selection discussion accurate and detailed.
|Natural selection discussion accurate.
|Natural selection discussion incorrect or illogical.
|DIY biology and specific bioengineering example discussed in order to highlight societal use of biotechnology
|DIY biology and specific example used to highlight societal uses of biotechnology and potential scenarios provided illustrating pluses/minuses
|DIY biology and specific example used to highlight societal uses of biotechnology
|DIY biology and specific example not used to highlight societal uses of biotechnology
|Paper includes personal opinion on gene engineering, supported by evidence beyond simple opinion, that discusses possible risks and benefits of the application genomic and genetic science.
|Personal opinion well supported by evidence, example, and/or scenarios.
|Personal opinion supported by at least one full scenario or example.
|Personal opinion not fully supported.
|Total points: 25