End of textbook section. You should now be prepared to do assignment 1.1
- Opposite Notation
- [latex]-a[/latex] means the opposite of the number [latex]a[/latex]
- The notation [latex]-a[/latex] is read the opposite of [latex]a[/latex].
- Absolute Value Notation
- The absolute value of a number [latex]n[/latex] is written as [latex]|n|[/latex] .
- [latex]|n|\ge 0[/latex] for all numbers.
- absolute value
- The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line.
- Integers are counting numbers, their opposites, and zero … [latex]–3, –2, –1, 0, 1, 2, 3\dots[/latex]
- negative number
- A negative number is less than zero.
- The opposite of a number is the number that is the same distance from zero on the number line, but on the opposite side of zero.