With your advice, Tom has continued to make strategic planning progress at Sun City Boards, but you and Tom realize that a new organizational structure is needed for the company to grow as you envision. Plans include expanding beyond a single store/manufacturing shop and reaching new markets via an Internet presence and e-commerce. The following is a summary of the current staff and loose descriptions of job functions:
- Owner/CEO: Tom Wilson (Designs the boards, sets their selling price, and establishes sales channels with local surf shops)
- Bookkeeper: Verónica Ramírez (Verónica also doubles as order-taking clerk, cash register attendant, and customer support)
- Board Maker: Lloyd Greene (If Tom invents it, Lloyd can make it!)
- Board Making Assistants: Mariann Lee, Sam Kahele, and Ibrahim Khakwani (Assignments change almost daily as Lloyd decides what needs to be done next)
- Sales Associate: Kelly Pace (Named after famed surfer Kelly Slater and a business icon for Sun City Boards; visits surf shops and occasionally closes a sale)
- Part-time Associates: Hired as needed for inventory management (cleanup), promotional events, etc.
The Organizational Structures module of your text provides numerous examples and illustrations of organizational structures. As Tom’s advisor, your assignment now is to select one of the organizational structures presented in the reading, describe how it works, chart the future structure for Sun City, and explain why you prescribe it. The following steps will help you prepare for your written assignment:
- Carefully consider the various organizational structures, their key structural components, and organizational timing relevant for Sun City.
- Consider the internal and external environmental factors, as well as current trends.
- Select one of the Organizational Structures from your reading for Sun City.
- Create a Future State Organizational Chart for Sun City. You may use a presentation tool of your choice. There are numerous organizational chart format inserts available in popular software. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint have Hierarchy charts found on the Insert tab under SmartArt. Your org chart should contain the title of the job function, even if no Sun City employee currently fills that role. You may also recommend a reporting structure for the existing employees within the new structure.
- Write at least two paragraphs describing your chosen structure and why you selected it. Your written explanation must include three properly referenced and defined terms from the module reading. For example, if you select a functional structure, explain each relevant function.
In addition to the text, you are encouraged to research your organizational structure using reliable and properly cited Internet resources. You may also draw from your personal work experience with appropriate examples to support your references.