Note: This test may need to be updated and/or revised to accurately reflect current statistics, research findings, and health trends.
1. What does the term “risk factor” refer to?
a. health outcomes resulting from a disease
b. symptoms of a disease that occur
c. attributes that increase disease probability
d. probability of disease mortality
2. Approximately which percentage of American adults are overweight or obese?
3. In the United States, what is the leading cause of death?
b. heart disease
4. Which source below would be most likely to offer reliable and accurate information about the topic of cholesterol?
a. a health blog on cholesterol written by a health and fitness enthusiast
b. a cholesterol article on a web site that is sponsored by a pharmaceutical company
c. a cholesterol article on a web site that is sponsored by a medical institution
d. all of the above
5. What is the leading contributing cause of preventable disease and death in the United States?
a. unprotected sex
c. tobacco use
d. poor diet
6. Which stage of the transtheoretical model involves recognizing that a problem exists, and having intentions to make a behavior change within 6 months?
7. Current physical activity guidelines indicate that adults need at least how many minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week?
8. In using music therapy for relaxation, why is listening to instrumental music recommended?
a. it activates the left hemisphere of the brain to promote deeper relaxation
b. it activates the right hemisphere of the brain to promote deeper relaxation
c. it deactivates the right hemisphere of the brain
d. it deactivates the creative function of the brain
9. According to the Yerkes-Dodson law, stress…?
a. decreases performance at all levels
b. increases performance at all levels
c. increases performance to a certain point
d. has no effect on performance
10. Progressive muscular relaxation, a technique used to increase physical neuromuscular awareness, is accomplished by:
a. contracting and relaxing muscles
b. relaxing muscles ONLY
c. stretching muscles
d. massaging muscles
11. Stress increases cardiovascular disease risk through which of the following?
a. prolonged elevation of heart rate and blood pressure
b. reduced heart rate and blood pressure
c. reparation of damaged vessel lining
d. uninhibited blood flow
12. For EACH dimension of wellness, briefly explain your (personal) current level of progress and potential areas in need of improvement:
13. Take a look at the following advertisement for the weight reduction pill, “Beta-Slim.” Circle four statements or claims in the ad that should make consumers cautious about the product, AND explain why it might be a red flag (on the next page):
Lose up to 10, 20, 50 even 100 lbs. or more with Beta-Slim™
Beta-Slim™ is a unique, all natural weight reduction formula that is guaranteed to get you to your weight loss goal, without restrictive dieting, strenuous workouts or failure. This method is easy, safe and scientifically proven to get quick, noticeable results for anyone needing to shed unwanted pounds and inches. Backed by years of in-depth research and testing conducted at state-of-the-art laboratories, Beta-Slim™ will prove to be the solution that you’ve been waiting for! Never before has there been such a simple way to slim down.
Safe & Effective Fat Absorber
Beta-Slim is a small, easy to swallow capsule, proven safe and effective, with no side effects. It contains a natural fat absorber – a unique amino-polysaccharide (inert carbohydrate) which comes from lab-controlled cultures – grown in the USA. This natural fat absorber has the amazing propensity to target and remove fat from the system, slimming you down in record time…. now you can lose up to 10 pounds of fat each week, guaranteed! And because Beta-Slim™ works to absorb the bad fats from the foods you eat, you will never be forced to give up the foods you love. Just eat as you normally would and let Beta-Slim™ do the rest! If you need to lose from as little as 5 pounds to as much as 100 pounds or more, Beta-Slim™ will work for you, changing your life forever!
Scientific breakthrough will help you DROP POUNDS & TRIM INCHES…
►Without changing your diet
►Without hard exercise
Lose Pounds and Inches!
You can get the slim, sexy body that you’ve always wanted… without the disappointment of starting and stopping one diet after another… without feeling guilty every time you eat your favorite foods… without having to do another boring exercise… without having to tell another person you failed at your diet… yet again!
With Beta-Slim™, you will have total control of your weight… and your life. This amazing new formula is perfect for anyone who wants to lose pounds and inches without frustration. Regardless of how much weight you need to lose, Beta-Slim™ will get you the results you want!
Lose up to 10 lbs. a week & up to 40 lbs. a month
Beta-Slim™ is an extremely potent, pharmaceutical-grade fat absorber that has proven itself, again and again, to bring significant, visible results for everyone-regardless of how much weight needs to be lost. This thoroughly tested, safe fat absorber promotes the loss of up to 5-10 pounds each week and up to 40 pounds each month, guaranteed! Now, you will finally be able to succeed with your weight-loss mission and attain the body of your dreams. You will be amazed at how quickly and efficiently Beta-Slim works to trim inches and melt pounds away.
Watch as years of accumulated fat disappear effortlessly. Even if you feel that losing weight is impossible, now, thanks to Beta-Slim™, you will finally be able to lose all the weight that you need to, without diets, exercise or disappointments!
“I went from a size 14 to a size 7 with Beta-Slim and it was so easy. I love to eat and with Beta-Slim, I didn’t have to change any of my eating habits. Thanks a million!” – Brenda H.
“Beta Slim is incredible. I lost 48 lbs. without having to diet or exercise. If I can do it… anyone can!” – Donna M.
“This product really helped me. I had been overweight since high school and I was never able to get the weight off. With Beta Slim, I lost 37 pounds and I look and feel fantastic!” – Tanya B.
Red Flag Explanations:
14. Explain what a “target heart rate zone” means, and discuss its potential cardiovascular health benefits. Your response should be at least 50 words in length.
15. A condition in which the body has an excessive and unhealthy amount of fat (BMI 30 or >) is known as…?
16. Which of the following is a standard that correlates body weight with the risk of developing chronic health conditions associated with excess body fat?
a. body composition
b. body mass index
d. metabolic rate
17. In setting health behavior change goals, using the “SMART” criteria increases the effectiveness and chances of potential success. Identify and explain what each letter of the “SMART” acronym stands for:
18. One pound of body fat is equal to approximately how many calories?
19. Several factors can be attributed to weight gain, overweight and obesity. For EACH of the four factors listed below, explain how it potentially contributes to the process of gaining too much weight:
- Explain the “Set Point Theory”:
20. Locate your Body Mass Index (BMI) on the chart below by finding where your height and weight meet up, then answer the question on the next page:
Whether you are currently at a healthy weight, overweight, or obese; what steps can you take to maintain and/or achieve a BMI that will lend itself to a healthy lifestyle? Be sure to include specific information about diet and exercise. Your response should be at least 75 words in length.