Note: This test may need to be updated and/or revised to accurately reflect current statistics, research findings, and health trends.
1. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) estimates that approximately how many new cases of STIs occur each year in the United States?
a. 2 million
b. 12 million
c. 20 million
d. 40 million
2. It is estimated that there are more than how many total STIs among men and women in the U.S.?
a. 75 million
b. 110 million
c. 150 million
d. 210 million
3. Which of the following STIs cannot be cured?
4. Which statement below is false regarding STI testing?
a. There are separate tests for different STIs.
b. You must request that an STI test be performed.
c. If you do not have any symptoms, it is not necessary to get tested.
d. STI tests are relatively easy to get.
5. Antibiotic treatment can be used for which STI?
6. If a condom is used during intercourse, there is no risk for getting an STI.
7. About one out of _____ adults in the U.S. has genital herpes, but as many as 90% of those infected don’t know it.
8. If you are trying to protect yourself from getting genital herpes, oral sex is a safe alternative to vaginal sex.
9. Which four bodily fluids can transmit HIV to others?
a. semen, saliva, urine, vaginal secretions
b. semen, vaginal secretions, sweat, saliva
c. semen, saliva, blood, vaginal secretions
d. semen, vaginal secretions, breast milk, blood
10. A diagnosis of AIDS ensues when an HIV-infected person’s CD4 cell count drops below…?
a. 700 cells/uL
b. 500 cells/uL
c. 200 cells/uL
d. 1000 cells/uL
11. The most effective way to protect yourself against STIs EACH time you have a new sexual partner (and before you first engage in any sexual activity with that person) is…?
a. to determine how many previous sexual partners he/she has been with
b. to ask if he/she has any STIs
c. to go get tested for STIs together and see each other’s results
d. to rely on the effectiveness of using a condom when you decide to have sex
12. Hepatitis can severely damage which organ?
13. Most sexually active men and women will get HPV at some point in their lives.
14. The HPV vaccines for females and males are most effective when all doses are…?
a. given within a 1 month time period
b. given before a person first has sexual contact
c. given at the time the infection first occurs
d. given directly after sexual contact has occurred
15. Explain why “I” statements are generally a more effective approach to communication than “you” statements, and provide at least one example that demonstrates the difference between the two:
16. Directions: For each scenario below, circle the choice that most closely resembles how you would likely respond to the situation, and then answer the question that follows:
a. Your roommate/significant other/family member rarely, if ever, cleans up anything in your dorm room/apartment/house. You…
i. don’t say anything and just clean up after them
ii. talk to them about a plan/schedule for taking turns cleaning shared spaces
iii. start placing clutter and dirty dishes in the person’s space
iv. call them a slob, yell at them, and/or threaten to kick them out
b. Your classmate is not pulling his/her weight on your assigned group project. You…
i. pick up the slack for that person without addressing the issue
ii. discuss with that person/the whole group how to best proceed/divide tasks
iii. rip the person apart/call them lazy and useless
c. Your friend says something that hurts your feelings. You…
i. say nothing and hope it doesn’t happen again
ii. tell your friend that what he/she said hurt your feelings
iii. get even with your friend by saying something hurtful too
d. Your friend borrows your watch/jewelry/piece of clothing without returning it. You…
i. let them keep it even though it is one of your favorites
ii. ask your friend to return the item
iii. get even by taking something that belongs to them
iv. accuse your friend of trying to steal from you
Question: In addition to the previous scenarios, take a moment to reflect on how you typically respond to various situations in your life. Do you have a difficult time speaking up? Or, do you tend to lash out at others very quickly (e.g. name-calling, raised voice, etc.)? If you chose “ii” for most of the scenarios, then you are probably on the “right” track to communicating effectively. Briefly (and honestly!) discuss how satisfied or dissatisfied you are with your current level of communication with others, as well as areas that could potentially use improvement. Keep in mind, communicating effectively involves respecting others as well as yourself.
Your response should be at least 75 words in length:
17. What are the 3 key elements of Sternberg’s Triangular Theory of Love (write them below)?
18. HPV can cause cancer in both men and women.
19. People who have an STI are more likely to become infected with HIV.