Note: This test may need to be updated and/or revised to accurately reflect current statistics, research findings, and health trends.
1. In New York State, a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of how much constitutes Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), with the exception of commercial motor vehicle drivers?
2. Which of the following can make you sober?
a. drinking coffee
b. taking a cold shower
d. all of the above
3. Which statement is most accurate regarding how BAC is affected by certain factors?
a. a person with a higher percentage of body fat will have a lower BAC than a leaner person of the same weight
b. women metabolize less alcohol in the stomach than men do, resulting in a higher BAC
c. men metabolize less alcohol in the stomach than women do, resulting in a higher BAC
d. a person with a lower percentage of body fat will have a higher BAC than a person of the same weight with more body fat
4. Every year, approximately how many people die in the United States as a result of using tobacco products?
5. Which of the following statements about secondhand smoke is false?
a. It contributes to over 3,000 lung cancer deaths each year among U.S. non-smokers.
b. There are less than 25 toxic chemicals found in secondhand tobacco smoke.
c. It may increase the risk of heart disease by 25-30 percent.
d. 46,000 heart disease deaths are likely due to secondhand smoke each year in the U.S.
6. Tobacco use is responsible for about ____% of all cancer deaths annually in the U.S.
7. Place a check mark next to EACH statement that is correct regarding the use of e-cigarettes:
_____ They are FDA approved as a quit-smoking aid
_____ Extensive research shows they are safe
_____ Carcinogens may be associated with its use
_____ Nicotine addiction is still a factor
8. Which type of cancer kills more men and women than any other kind?
9. What are three conditions or diseases that can affect a person’s liver due to excessive alcohol consumption (list them below)?
10. Marijuana use may increase the risk of having a heart attack.
11. Which statement below regarding prescription drugs, herbal supplements, and other available products that people consume is most accurate?
a. Herbal products are strictly regulated and approved for safety.
b. Medications are only prescribed if there is no risk for addiction.
c. Herbal and synthetic products are available that have not been regulated.
d. The FDA ensures that all products are safe before they can be sold.
12. OxyContin, a prescription drug, is most closely associated with which of the following illicit drugs?
13. Based on the concept of synergism, which drug combination below would be most apt to result in a severe reduction in respiration, decreased heart rate, coma, or even death if consumed together?
a. meth and cocaine
b. Ritalin and alcohol
c. Valium and alcohol
d. meth and marijuana
14. Addiction to Technology?
The popularity of the internet continues to grow because of the many ways users can interact, be entertained, informed, contacted, and occupied. Users connect through virtual worlds, blogs, games, subscription services and social networking sites. Technology gives users the ability to stay connected and contactable 24 hours a day.
However, being connected 24 hours can lead to excessive internet use, which can have a negative impact on the well-being of the user and his/her friends and family.
Do you show signs of possible excessive technology use? Circle “Yes” or “No” for each of the following questions (and be honest!). Are you…
- experiencing a decline in work/study performance as a result of time spent online? Yes No
- feeling tired as a result of late night online activity? Yes No
- missing meals or eating while online so that you can stay connected? Yes No
- lying awake at night with your mind on what’s happening online or waking up in the middle of the night to check online updates and messages (including text messages)? Yes No
- using your smart phone at inappropriate times and places such as in a movie theater or while driving? Yes No
- misleading family members about the extent of time spent on the internet? Yes No
- preferring to spend time online rather than with your family and friends? Yes No
- spending time on the internet because it’s more fun than the ‘real’ world? Yes No
- unsuccessfully trying to cut back on internet use (including social media, gaming, etc.)? Yes No
Answering yes to more than a few of these questions may mean there is a potential problem with excessive internet use. Left unchecked, this can have a negative impact on your overall well-being, relationships, and may also affect work/study performance.
It is important to strike a balance between online and offline activity!
Reflect on the previous questions and take an honest look at the amount of time you spend on electronic devices (smart phone, laptop, tablet, etc.). Discuss how you feel this affects the quality of your life (including your relationships, self-esteem, mood, time management, etc.), and whether or not this interferes with a “healthy” balance in your life. Your total response should be at least 75 words in length.
15. What is the strongest risk factor for transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next?
a. Living with parents/caretakers who did not graduate from high school
b. Having family members who are afflicted with alcoholism and/or drug abuse
c. Witnessing violence between one’s parents/caretakers
d. Watching disproportionate amounts of violence on television
16. Approximately how many women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime?
a. 1 out of 2
b. 1 out of 3
c. 1 out of 4
d. 1 out of 10
17. Abuse that occurs in domestic violence situations tends to subside or lessen as time goes on.
18. Besides physical abuse, explain two other types of abuse that someone might use to exert power and control over his/her partner. Be sure to provide an example for each type of abuse.
19. Which statement regarding how meth use affects the brain is most accurate?
a. meth initially releases a surge of dopamine, causing a sense of euphoria
b. over time, meth destroys dopamine receptors, making it impossible to feel the same pleasure
c. both a & b
d. none of the above
20. Prescription drugs do not have the potential for dangerous outcomes (such as addiction or death) unless they are mixed with illegal drugs.